Count Strikeforce’s Scott Coker among those that want to see “The Human Highlight Reel” back inside the cage.
Cung Le last fought in June of last year, earning a knockout victory over Scott Smith with a spinning back kick. The spectacular finish avenged a loss – Le’s first of his career – to Scott.
Now, after taking more time off to work on improving his movie career, Le is ready to get back where he is best known – the Octagon.
“Cung is going to fight in Strikeforce,” Coker told MMAjunkie.com last week. “Cung wants to fight in November because it’s his home town. I’d like to see Cung fight in our December show.”
Le has made a push to sign a contract with the UFC and compete at UFC 139 in San Jose. But, Coker and Strikeforce want him for their card in December, which may also take place in California.
“At some point, when we have more crossovers in the future, if it does happen, then that obviously will happen,” Coker said, in regards to fighters from the UFC and Strikeforce matching up. “But right now, nothing’s changed.”
Le (7-1) is a resident of San Jose, so the 39-year-old would love to do battle in front of a large contingent of family and friends.
Le is a former Strikeforce middleweight champion, having vacated the belt to focus on a film career.
“We’ll definitely have Cung back in the cage soon,” Coker said. “We miss Cung Le.”
Le was in attendance this past Saturday night for the Fedor-Henderson card in Chicago. He was seen playfully putting Coker in a choke hold between fights on Showtime.