As noted yesterday, Strikeforce world heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem has been ousted from the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament, which resumes on September 10th.
UFC President Dana White spoke about Overeem’s removal at yesterday’s UFC 135 press conference, re-affirming that “Ubereem” was removed from the tournament due to a toe injury.
“He hurt his toe, pulled out of the fight,” said White (props to Fighters Only for the transcription).
Despite Overeem stating before his removal from the tournament that he had been threatened to be fired by the organization if he didn’t compete, White said that Overeem remains under contract and that there was no more to the story.
“He’s still under contract,” White stated. “The date that was set in September was set by Showtime, and it is what it is. We’ve got to get an alternate in there, but he’s still under contract.
“If you say you’re hurt, you’re hurt,” White continued. “What are you gonna do? There’s been a lot of that lately. If I got mad at guys who got hurt, I’d be really pissed off right now. It is what it is.”
Overeem was scheduled to face Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the semi-finals, but now it will be Daniel Cormier stepping in for Overeem to face Silva for a chance to meet the Josh Barnett – Sergei Kharitonov winner in the finals.
The Strikeforce Grand Prix tournament semi-finals will take place on September 10, 2011. The venue and location have yet to be finalized by the promotion.