Since dropping to the middleweight division, “All-American” Brian Stann has gone on a tear, taking out Mike Massenzio, Chris Leben and Jorge Santiago consecutively and within the distance.
The victories have established the former United States Marine Corps captain as a contender in the 185lbs. division, though he recently told MMA:30 that he sees himself having to knock off at least a couple more contenders before he gets a chance to fight for championship gold.
“I think I have a couple more fights (before I get a title shot), regardless of what I think,” said the “All-American.” “I have no issues fighting anybody in the middleweight division right now. To turn down a title fight is just ridiculous at this level. Everybody has a shot to win, especially when the champion is a guy like Anderson Silva who does like to stand and bang, you’re always going to have a puncher’s chance. But, for me, I know I’m going to have to fight one or two times before I get that shot at the title and I’m gonna have to fight two, or maybe even three really good guys. So, that’s what I’m focused on right now.”
It was announced earlier this week that Stann’s next bout would be coming against oft-embattled and controversial returning fighter Chael Sonnen, who gave champion Anderson Silva his toughest test to date in August of last year. A win over Sonnen could very well earn the 30-year-old a shot at the title and would at least put him very high up in the contender’s queue.
Stann and Sonnen will meet at UFC 136 this October 8 at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas.