twitter google

Herschel Walker Talks Dedication To MMA

Many people have written off former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker’s foray into mixed martial arts as a novelty act. To Herschel Walker at least, it is anything but.

The 48-year old has been honing his skills at the renowned American Kickboxing Academy fight gym in San Jose, California, and his work there helped the 5th-degree Tae Kwon Do black belt net his first (and to date only) professional MMA victory, which came over Greg Nagy at Strikeforce: Miami in January of last year.

He is now scheduled to face Scott Carson this weekend at Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg, but some are still questioning Walker’s place in MMA. Speaking during a media conference call in promotion of the bout, Walker explained exactly how dedicated he is to this sport and also revealed another possibility for his future in which he would prove his doubters wrong.

“I left not only my home in Dallas but also my company. I’ve left my company to my top guy and I’ve come out here to to train. I moved into a hotel in July to begin training,” Walker said. “And then the fight came along and I first asked my trainers and the fighters and they said yes you can do it. And that’s the only reason why I’m back doing it. How long can I do it? Who knows. I tell people I may even try out for football again and show people I can do that one more time. I’d be the George Foreman of football and come back and do that one more time.”

The renaissance athlete will attempt to make it two in a row as a professional mixed martial artist this Saturday night, when he takes on Carson at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. He will be joined on the main card by light heavyweights Roger Gracie and Trevor Prangley; middleweights Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Robbie Lawler, who will be contesting Souza’s middleweight championship belt; and welterweights Nick Diaz and Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, who will be contesting Diaz’s welterweight strap.