twitter google

UFC Cuts Gerald Harris After First Official UFC Loss

Despite suffering his first official loss in the UFC, the UFC has decided to cut Gerald Harris after his lackluster loss to Maiquel Falcao at UFC 123 this past Saturday.

“Yes it’s true I have been released from the UFC,” Harris wrote on his Twitter. “Thanks for the support, it was great, & I’ll keep my head up.”

The former “The Ultimate Fighter 7″ contestant won his last three fights in the UFC after embarking on a seven fight win streak outside of the organization, with all those wins coming via knockout or submission. He even earned “Knockout of the Night” honors for his victory over Dave Branch at UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin this past summer.

Harris’ bout with Falcao this past Sunday had been criticized for the lack of action in the third and final frame. Falcao had Harris locked in a rear-naked choke in the first round and appeared to be on the verge of defeating Harris when the bell sounded. It was later revealed that the opening round was cut short by approximately seven seconds due to a timekeeping error.

The third and final round saw Falcao play it safe to earn a unanimous decision victory. White expressed his frustration at the evening’s post-fight press conference.

“These are the big-leagues, man,” said White. “It’s no different than Major League Baseball, no different than the NFL. You perform, or you go away.”

“I’d rather have two guys in a dog fight and have a guy lose and keep him around than have a guy who’s in the Ultimate Staring Competition for five minutes. Nobody wants to see that s–t.”

White informed that while Harris is cut, Falcao will remain with the organization.

“[Falcao is] going to stick around,” White told the website. “Gerald Harris isn’t.”

What are your thoughts on Harris’ release? Do you agree with it? Let us know in the ‘Comments’ section below.