According to MMAJunkie.com, early reports that welterweight fighter Jay Hieron is now a free agent were a little bit quick on the draw. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker spoke with MMAJunkie after Strikeforce: Houston Saturday night and revealed that, while Hieron is no longer under contract for any more fights with Strikeforce, Strikeforce is entitled to a matching period where they have the option of matching any offers he receives.
“Here’s the thing,” Coker said. “Jay Hieron doesn’t have any fights left with us. He’s just in a matching period. The only thing he would have to do is if he has an offer, he has to bring it to us. But he doesn’t have fights with Strikeforce, no.”
Asked if he were looking to retain Hieron’s services, Coker said, “I think my guys are talking to him.”
Hieron has fought twice for Strikeforce, against Joe Riggs and Jesse Taylor, and won both fights via unanimous decision. Hieron, who made his name in the IFL after appearing in the UFC twice early in his career, is currently on a seven fight winning streak.
“The Thoroughbred” recently posted a message celebrating his release from Strikeforce but apparently he jumped the gun just a bit.
“I finally got my release from SF… Y’all know what I’m about to do!!!!!!! I have been threw alot of Shit this past year but I have trained the whole time. So all WWs take notice I’m coming for somebodys head…,” he posted.
Hieron had previously expressed frustration with Strikeforce at not being featured on the televised portion of any of the Strikeforce cards on which he appeared. Many are speculating that Hieron will follow in Jake Shields’ footsteps and leave Strikeforce for the UFC; nothing has been remotely confirmed to that effect and it could be some time before any news is released concerning Hieron’s eventual future.