Although Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker promised to make a “big announcement” today, there still hasn’t been an official announcement regarding their spring agenda.
Thankfully, MMA’s grapevine was backed up with all the Strikeforce information you need – for April and May.
Here’s Strikeforce’s Manic Monday Recap:
* – Jake Shields confirmed on his Twitter account that he would headline the April 17th event and defend his middleweight title against Dan Henderson, however couldn’t verify if the show was going to be held inside the Sommet Center in Nashville, TN as expected.
* – Shields also informed us that the highly anticipated light heavyweight title match between champion Gegard Mousasi and Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal is on tap for the CBS broadcast.
“Officially fighting @DanHenderson on 4/17 Strikeforce Main Event live on CBS!! Mousasi vs King Mo and more TBA,” Shields Tweeted.
* – Lorretta Hunt of Sherdog.com reported that former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski has signed a four-fight, 16-month contract with Strikeforce and will face Antonio Silva on their yet-to-be-announced card on May 15th in St. Louis, Missouri.
* – Josh Gross of SI.com confirmed with multiple sources that Strikeforce lightweight title holder Gilbert Melendez will defend his belt against Japanese import Shinya Aoki on the April 17th show, meaning the primetime broadcast will now feature three title fights.
* – Strikeforce heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem confirmed with MMAJunkie.com that he will likely face Brett Rogers at the May 15th promotion, however it will be in a non-title affair.