twitter google

Anderson Silva Will Not Face Vitor Belfort At UFC 109, May Be Out Until April

It appears that Anderson Silva may be out of action longer than originally thought. The UFC middleweight champion recently underwent elbow surgery and says he needs more time off to recover from the medical procedure.

Silva was expected to face top contender Vitor Belfort at UFC 109 on February 6, 2010, however is reporting that the fight will not take place at the event, and that Silva may not be able to fight until April.

“I went to the doctor who takes care of me in Brazil on Monday. I had surgery in the United States but there is communication between the two medical teams,” Silva told Portal das Lutas last week. “To sum it up, some movements aren’t at the expected stage [of recovery].

“I’m crazy to come back, train hard and fight but some moves still hurt so much,” Silva continued. “I just came from jiu-jitsu training where I was teaching my students and I could not even could make some positions with them.”

In the meantime, Randy Couture and Mark Coleman have verbally agreed to a bout at UFC 109, making it the first time that two UFC hall of famers have faced each other.