With UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar suffering from a bacterial infection that has put his career in jeopardy, the division has been put into disarray. Lesnar was forced to withdraw from a UFC 106 showdown with top undefeated contender Shane Carwin due to his illness and it’s unknown if Lesnar will ever be able to fight again. The UFC is considering whether or not they should create an interim title until Lesnar’s status becomes more clear.
Carwin has acknowledged that he is now “in talks” to face fellow undefeated up-and-comer Cain Valazquez in a post on The Underground for the interim heavyweight championship. Carwin and Velasquez were originally scheduled to square off at UFC 104 last month, however Carwin was pulled from the bout to face Lesnar, while Velasquez faced Ben Rothwell instead, whom he defeated via TKO.
“I have a knee I am rehabbing and a baby due on the eleventh of February,” Carwin wrote. “I am down to do whatever is best for the division. Not sure how important the belt is in that scenario. (There are) lots of great fighters at the top and lots of talented young guns on the way up right now.”
“There’s been talk of it, and we’re working on it,” Carwin’s manager, Jason Genet, told MMAjunkie.com. “They’re just trying to firm up some dates, but Shane and his wife are expecting a child in February, and we’re trying to work around that.”
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that UFC officials were hopeful to have the fight take place at UFC 110 on Feb. 21 in Sydney, Australia, however
Genet noted that Carwin’s wife has a “high-risk pregnancy” and that the February 11th due date for Carwin’s wife would present some problems. Genet is hopeful that the bout will take place in early 2010.
“I just don’t see how you could do interim heavyweight title and not have Shane be a part of it,” Genet said. “He had earned a fight with the champion, so I think he’s earned the right at an interim championship.”