With Jake Shields, Robbie Lawler, Scott Smith, Benji Radach, Nick Diaz and a host of others, the Strikeforce middleweight division is loaded with potential challengers for Cung Le’s crown. The only problem is, Cung Le isn’t around to defend it. Le hasn’t fought since March 29, 2008, when he won the title from Frank Shamrock. Le has been busy in Hollywood working on several projects, including the recently released Fighting, as well as Pandorum (releasing in September) and the live-action Tekken film. Due to his acting commitments, Le recently revealed that Strikeforce will be introducing an interim middleweight title.
“I talked to Scott [Coker] and he said he is going to do an interim belt very soon,” Le said in a chat with Cagewriter. “I talked to him last week and it is going to happen after this [Shields vs. Lawler] fight.”
Le also spoke about one day fighting for the UFC.
“I would love to fight for UFC but I got a contract with Strike Force and Scott Coker has taken good care of me so I just take it one day at a time.”
While Le has stated that Strikeforce will introduce the interim middleweight championship, Strikeforce has yet to make an official announcement.