* As noted earlier, we have a brand new Twitter account and will be providing live coverage of smaller shows on it, like tonight’s Strikeforce Challenger Series. To follow us on Twitter, click here.
* Pro wrestling superstar Kurt Angle finally gets a chance to live out his dream of being an MMA fighter . . . only that it will be on the big screen. According to WrestlingINC.com, Angle is filming a movie called Warrior this weekend in which he plays a Russian MMA fighter. The movie also stars Nick Nolte, and will be released in 2010. The IMDB synopsis of the movie reads: “The youngest son of an alcoholic former boxer (Nolte) returns home, where he’s trained by his father for competition in a mixed martial arts tournament — a path that puts the fighter on a collision corner with his older brother.” Apparently Angle plays one of the fighters in the tournament.
* Just a reminder, as first reported by MMAjunkie.com, Forrest Griffin, Kenny Florian, and Dana White will appear on the “Dr. Phil” show today. The UFC crew recently finished taping their episode in which they will supposedly caution viewers and aspiring fighters not to use mixed martial arts in hazardous or precarious situations, i.e., the streets. Check your local listings for timings.
* UFC welterweight Chris Wilson and his family were robbed at gunpoint at their home in Brazil this poast Wednesday. Wilson was training in Rio De Janeiro for his UFC 98 fight against Brock Larson on May 23rd when an armed man held him up at gunpoint and called for four of his friends. The five proceeded to break into Wilson’s apartment, where his wife and two children were in the bathroom, and stole his television, laptop computer, jewelry, and even his children’s clothes. Thankfully Wilson and his family were OK after the incident, and Wilson still plans to face Larson at UFC 98 next Saturday.
* Also, a reminder that former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley fights tonight at MFC 21 Hard Knocks, which will air live on HDNet at 10 PM ET. Lashley faces Mike Cook, whom he outweighed by fifteen pounds at the official weigh-ins. The full card of the event is below, courtesy of MMAWeekly.com:
– Emanuel Newton (204.5) vs. Trevor Prangley (205.5)
– Mike Cook (234) vs. Bobby Lashley (249)
– David Heath (205.5) vs. Travis Galbraith (205)
– Andrew Buckland (171) vs. John Alessio (169.5)
– Mychal Clark (205) vs. Ryan Jimmo (205)
– Marvin Eastman (204) vs. Aron Lofton (205.5)
– William Richey (232.5) vs. Ryan Fortin (262.5)
– Jeremy Combrink (170.5) vs. Jason Heit (170.5)
– Dwayne Lewis (203.5) vs. Jay Whitford (214.5)
– Nolan Clarke (170) vs. George Belanger (170)
We will have results from the event tonight on the site.