In a follow-up to our story yesterday about Houston Alexander (8-4) bowing out of his fight with Andre Gumao (5-1) at UFC 98 on May 23rd, it has been confirmed today that The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 cast member Krzysztof Soszynski (17-8-1) will replace the injured Alexander. Alexander was forced to withdraw on Sunday due to a broken hand suffered in training, and it’s currently unknown how long he will be out of action. The injury plagued card has now seen four of the ten originally scheduled fights changed with Frank Mir, Josh Koscheck, Yushin Okami and James Irvin all having withdrawn from their original fights due to injury.
Soszynski last fought only a month ago, defeating former training partner and former WEC light heavyweight champion Brian Stann at UFC 97. Gusmao last fought at UFC 87, losing his UFC debut to Jon Jones via unanimous decision. Gusmao had been undefeated prior to the defeat.
Here is the updated card for UFC 98:
TELEVISED MAIN CARD
* Light Heavyweight Championship
Rashad Evans (c) vs. Lyoto Machida
* Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
* Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Drew McFedries
* Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen
* Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk
* Brock Larson vs. Chris Wilson
* Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague
* Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover
* Andre Gusmao vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
* Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
* David Kaplan vs. George Roop