The Japanese-based DREAM promotion has announced an open-weight tournament set to take place at DREAM.9 on May 26 in Yokohama, Japan. Fighters that have been confirmed for the event feature some well-known veterans of MMA, including Gegard Mousasi, Sokoudjou, Mark Hunt, and Kid Yamamoto. The tournament also has its share of intriguing competitors, such as K-1 star Bob Sapp and former Major League Baseball player Jose Canseco. Yes, you read that right. Jose Canseco, mostly known for his much publicized and controversial book, where he admitted his own steroid use and accused countless other MLB players of using performance enhancing drugs, will make his MMA debut against 7’2”, 330 lb. Hong Man Choi.
The open-weight tournament, deemed as the “World Superman Championship,” will begin on May 26, with semi-final and final rounds set to take place later this summer.
Also featured on the DREAM.9 card is a fight for the vacant middleweight title between Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, as well as the much anticipated return of Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto. Needless to say, fans tuning into DREAM.9 will be pleased with the card’s entertainment value, as well as the quality of its competitors.
The full fight card is listed below.
• Gesias “JZ” Cavalvante vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
• Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Jason “Mayhem” Miller
• Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto vs. Joe Warren
• Bibiano Fernandes vs. Masakazu Imanari
• Yoshiro Maeda vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
• Abel Cullum vs. Hideo Tokoro
• Ikuhisa “Minowaman” Minowa vs. Bob Sapp
• Jan Nortje vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
• Mark Hunt vs. Gegard Mousasi
• Jose Canseco vs. Hong Man Choi