twitter google

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson Arrested

Former undisputed UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has been charged with a felony hit and run and felony evading arrest in Newport Beach, California.

Rampage was on the 55 Freeway in Orange County, California when he hit 2 cars. Instead of stopping, he got off of the freeway and the police chase was on. Rampage then began driving on the center divider. According to the police report, Jackson then drove on the sidewalk, “causing pedestrians to flee for their lives.” He started driving on the wrong way on a crowded street, colliding with yet another car in an intersection. He injured a Huntington Beach woman and may have also injured her unborn child in the incident where he drove his truck recklessly down the 55 freeway in Los Angeles on Tuesday. Holli Griggs was taken to the hospital for minor injuries according to the Daily Pilot and said that she and her unborn child of 16 and a half weeks were injured. The extent of those injuries are unclear at this point.

As he continued on, running several red lights, his tire blew out and he began driving on the rim. He eventually got to Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, where he again driving on the sidewalk, “causing pedestrians to flee in terror.”

His car eventually came to a stop and he was taken into custody at gunpoint with his face down in the middle of the street. Cops took him to the Orange County Jail, but they determined he was “medically unfit” to be booked. No word on whether drugs were involved. has posted Rampage’s mug shot online, which you can view by clicking here. They also posted a video of the incident, which you can watch by clicking here.

Another TMZ article noted that in an interview a day before the arrest, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson revealed that he had been battling depression, injuries and weight issues. The article goes on to point out that throughout the entire interview, Rampage’s ramblings painted the picture of a guy who just wasn’t right.

Another article on states that after being refused from a Orange County jail for being “medically unfit”, Rampage was treated at an O.C. hospital and released on $25,000 bail, reportedly posted by Dana White. For the full article, click here. was with Jackson the morning of the incident and stated that Jackson watched the fight in which he lost his championship belt to Forrest Griffin, for the first time that morning. Those close to Jackson say that he takes losses very hard. Click here to view Jackson picking up his truck just hours before the incident and commenting on how he felt about the fight with Forrest Griffin.

Update: July 17, 2008
A day later, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson was picked up by police again. Sources say around 4:30 PM yesterday, friends who were hanging out with Rampage, waved down an Irvine police car after they were worried about his behavior.

We’re told Irvine cops saw Rampage, deemed him a danger to himself and others, and took him to a hospital for observation. Rampage was very cooperative with police. Police won’t officially confirm if it’s a psychiatric hold.

UFC president Dana White was a guest on the Los Angeles based KLOS-FM morning show and made the following comments on the Rampage situation: “I’m actually here right now, I’m in Southern California,” said White. “I’ve been dealing with this all day yesterday, I haven’t really gotten to the bottom of this yet. I don’t know what I’m going to do about it yet. Last night when he got out, Rampage is very religious…yeah I’m dealing with it.”

One of the hosts of the show asked if Rampage would be fined for his behavior:

“It’s not really about a fine,” said White. “At the end of the day, we care about these guys. A lot of these guys are our friends. I want to find out what’s wrong with Rampage and get him taken care of.”

Update: July 22, 2008
UFC president Dana White spoke with Yahoo! Sports this past weekend on the condition of Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson. There’s still much that is unknown and doctors are far from an official diagnosis. White told Yahoo! Sports that Jackson was initially going to stay in care for 72 hours but that has now been extended: “I think it’s going to be a while before we get him back. I’m talking as a friend. It’s a sensitive issue. Rampage, the UFC fighter, who cares about that. We’re concerned about Rampage, the human being. What matters is his personal life.”

White also noted that Jackson had been acting strange in the days leading to the incident: “He was up for four days and he was doing some crazy fasting thing. He was up for four days, drinking water and energy drinks, that was it. It’s not good.”

White said he knew that as soon as he arrived in Southern California on Tuesday night that something was seriously wrong with Jackson: “Rampage doesn’t do drugs. Rampage really doesn’t even drink. This whole thing made no sense to me. (Then) when I got there it made a lot of sense.”