Earlier this month Fedor Emelianenko wrote a letter to his Japanese fans on his personal website stating that he wanted to fight in Japan in a New Years Eve Tournament. He went on to say that he missed fighting in Japan and that he had the support of M-1 to continue with plans for the NYE event. Rumors also persisted that DSE was somehow involved.
Those rumors were quickly cast aside when M-1 Global President Monte Cox addressed the situation.
“No. It’s not going to happen,” said Cox. “There was an offer. We looked at it. We tried to see if it was possible. But in the end, there just wasn’t enough time to pull it off. It wasn’t a bad idea. It was kind of planned to be a sort of goodbye to Pride fans for Fedor.”
Then today as we reported earlier, the MFC M-1 website reported the following:
“The first M-1 Global event will take place in Japan, Saitama Super Arena on Dec. 31! No one other than four times Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will fight in the main event.”
Now according to MMAWeekly, Brian Patton, vice president of M-1 Global, has stated that Fedor will not be fighting on New Year’s Eve In Japan.
“The team is in Japan right now, but it is in regards to a fight in the spring. To my knowledge, Fedor is not fighting in Japan in December.”
Apparently M-1 Global has no affiliation with MFC M-1, the site that announced the fight on New Years.
“(M-1 Global) knows nothing about the MFC M-1 site, said Patton.”Meaning we are not in charge of it. We are hoping to announce our first fight by Dec. 1.”