Randy Couture held a press conference today to address is resignation from the UFC and the situation around his decision to leave. Some key points from his press conference:
– Randy says he had a sit down with the Ferita’s two and a half weeks before he resigned. He claims that he told them why he was upset in an effort to work things out. After the two and a half weeks had passed, when Fedor announced his signing with M-1, he says he’d had enough and made the decision to resign from the UFC.
– Randy denied wanting to fight in another organization but stated that he still has more fights left in him. He and his lawyers strongly contend that his contract will be up in nine months
– Couture also added that he has no hate for the UFC, the Fertitas or Dana White, but reiterated that he has resigned not retired.
– Couture also stated that he wasn’t given a promised bonus after the Gonzaga fight. This is what amounted to the “final straw”.
– Couture was respectful and polite throughout the press conference toward White and said that he didn’t want to get into a war of words with Dana or the Fertitta’s. He wouldn’t even go as far as saying that his relationship with the UFC was irreparable. But said that he had spoken with White, as well as UFC the Fertitta’s yesterday about returning to the organization.
“I just think it’s time for me to move on,” said Couture. “It’s not about bashing them. I’m not trying to get into a war of words with Dana. Dana’s said he owns me, I’m not going to get into that. There’s no hard feelings toward Dana and certainly not toward the Fertitta’s. They’ve done an excellent job of using their connections to build this sport back up.”
“And Dana, I don’t think he’s a bad guy. I think he wields a lot of power and I think he doesn’t do it with the best of conscience sometimes.”