twitter google

Dana White On GSP-Press Conference Rumors, Nick Diaz Possible Return

UFC president Dana White appeared on the FOX Sports 1 post-fight show following UFC on FOX 9 Saturday night and broke some news himself regarding former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz.

St-Pierre, who vacated the title on Friday during a special conference call to “clear up the zoo,” as he said, stated himself that he wasn’t retiring at the moment.

“He’s still gonna come back,” White re-affirmed. “He has some things to handle and did the classy thing. He’s going to be gone for a while, somebody will win that belt, defend it, than Georges St-Pierre will be back.

“He did the right thing.”

Some sites were reporting that GSP was denied entrance to a post-fight press conference following his win over Johny Hendricks earlier this year. White put those rumors to rest.

“It’s not the case,” he said. “Like I wouldn’t let Georges St-Pierre come to a press conference. (They) wanted Georges St-Pierre to go straight to the hospital; it’s not like he wasn’t allowed to (come to the press conference).”

White also added that he talked with former contender Nick Diaz, who was in attendance in Sacramento Saturday night, about returning to face Carlos Condit a second time. Condit defeated Diaz to become the interim UFC welterweight champion when St-Pierre was sidelined with a knee injury.

“I was gonna do Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz. I met with Nick Diaz in the back,” White said. “He doesn’t want to fight. He said maybe he’ll come back in May.”

As for Condit, who was set to meet Matt Brown Saturday night, White said they have yet to find him an opponent.