twitter google

Chael Sonnen-Vitor Belfort Set For Middleweight, According To Dana White

wanderlei silva

UFC president Dana White has some different thoughts regarding July’s Chael Sonnen-Vitor Belfort bout than those of Sonnen.

During “UFC Tonight” earlier this week, Sonnen stated the contest would take place at UFC 175 in the light heavyweight division and be for the No. 1 contender spot in the middleweight ranks.

White, in Germany for Saturday’s card, told Fighters Only that is not the case.

“If Chael can pull off a win over Vitor, then it will be huge for him too. I’m not saying he’ll get a title shot, but it will be big for him,” White said. “The fight has been made at middleweight, though, so we’ll see what happens.”

Sonnen (28-14-1) was scheduled to meet Wanderlei Silva, but Silva was removed from the fight after issues arose between the fighter obtaining a license to compete and the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Belfort (24-10) originally was to meet UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman this month, but the fight was changed to Weidman-Lyoto Machida after the UFC and NAC banned the use of TRT. The contest has since been moved to the July event.

White tried to clarify what went down with Silva and the commission, stating, “They showed up at Wanderlei’s gym and he ran out the back door and jumped into his car and took off. Then he went all Malaysian Airlines on us and we didn’t hear from him again. And if you don’t show up when they come to do a drug test, then they’re going to revoke your license.”

Belfort still needs to be licensed to fight in Nevada. He previously failed a drug test administered in the state back in 2006.